Thursday 23 May 2013

Capturing iPad or iPhone traffic using Fiddler2

Recently I have been given a task to find out why iPad application isn't getting the "correct" data from our SharePoint environment. I don't know much about how iPad has been developed but I been told it's consuming custom web services. Hence I downloaded Fiddler2 to analyse iPad traffic and see what has been requested by iPad and what is it getting in return.

Once you downloaded Fiddler2 on your computer, you can add proxy details to your iPad as shown in picture below,




Enter IP address of your computer in front of Server Make sure your port number matches one on Fiddler2 by default it's "8888". You can change default port by going to Tools > Fiddler Options > Connections > Fiddler listens on port:  as shown in picture below,




Now if you also want to capture HTTPS (secured) traffic then check boxes as shown in picture below,




Next step would be clicking on "Export Root Certificate to Desktop" and sending certificate you just exported on desktop to your iPad through email. Once you received it on your iPad just try opening the certificate and install it.

That's it, you can start capturing traffic now, one thing I would like to mention is that my iPad and Computer has been connected to same intranet network while I was debugging.


No comments:

Post a Comment